Monday, June 9, 2008

Josh Bloch - Be well rounded

I had been a fan of Josh Bloch since the first time I met him in JavaOne 2001. His book, Effective Java, has definitely made me a better developer. In the recent interview with Josh Bloch I learn that he has recently published the second edition of the book. I am so excited and looking forward to get a copy of the book when it is available in Singapore.

Another part that I like from the interview, which is something that I have been sharing with other younger generation (I'm not old yet okay :P), is his advice on getting a good breadth of knowledge and experience.

Q: What are some things you wish you'd learned in engineering school?

A: I wish I'd learned to play guitar better than I do, which isn't very well. I wish I'd learned a foreign language. And art history. Also, it would have been nice to learn something about business and finance. That said, Columbia did very well by me. But I would encourage undergraduates to take the opportunity to acquire breadth while they still have time for it. They'll have plenty of time for depth later.

No comments: